Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lesson Six: It's Not What You Know, It's If You Can Figure Out What To Do With It

University is a place I dread, I'd admit that. There are reasons behind this. I live 2 hours from where I study. I have no motivation, experience, connections, and sometimes even interest in what I am currently studying (BoBusiness/Media & Communcication). But most of all, I'm a critic of the system. Theory over practice. Much like Todd, I am left completely stumped when asked what field I would like to work in when I'm finished and am left asking myself "Why am I even doing this?"

"What about a degree in New Media?" you ask. Well, according to Gill (2007) many of the New Media practitioners interviewed for his study had a degree in media and communcations. Check (hopefully). Creativity, communication skills and an eye for future trends. I'd like to think so. But what is this? Passion and enthusiasm for the field, long working hours, poor wages and working conditions, and a reliance of personal contacts and connections to find work. I'm not so sure. If having a passion or desire for the industry you wish to work is the key to a successful and happy career, then I'll stick to a skate shop, or a record store. And then there's the high failure rate of Australian small business...




(Source: ShortFilms13D [Yep, that's me])

This whole 'searching for a career' thing is a headache, but I'm sure I'll figure it out some day.

Gill, R. (2007). Informality is the New Black. In Technobohemians or the new Cybertariat? New Media work in Amsterdam a decade after the web. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures: 24-30 & 38-43

O'Brien, T. New Media, Internet Self and Beyond. toddobrien.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment